Ellen & Chewy

Ellen & Chewy

Monday, July 7, 2014

Dapple Greys & Dapple Bays

Normally Chewy is the front runner of my string, so I wanted to take a minute to brag about my sweet little OTTB, Fugi. He has been with me for 6 months now and he is really starting to blossom. He has near automatic changes, jumps 2' courses very confidently, and has started leg yields and shoulder ins. He is such a quick learner! I adore this sweet little sports car of a horse. In 6 months he has really come far and I'm excited to see what the future holds for him.

Now, I already own a handsome dapple grey, but what about my dapple bay? When I first bought Fugi he had some dapples across his stomach and hindquarters - in the middle of winter, with no blanket! Since then we have had a little bit of a war with worms, and finding the right diet for him without making him too hot has been a bit of an experiment. We have now gotten rid of the worms, and Fugi has definitely put back on some weight, probably not quite enough yet though(darn skinny TBs). I curry the crap out him every day, and have been adding vegetable oil to his feed, and still no dapples. How in the world do you get those suckers back? I know people say most bays don't get dapples because of their genetics. Either they have the dapple gene, or they don't. But I know Fugi has the dapple gene, I saw it!

I use Manna Pro Calm Coat Premium shampoo for his sensitive skin to bathe. I feed him Nutrena Empower Boost with his feed to keep his weight up along with the vegetable oil to help his coat. Any suggestions are welcome!

Stay cool,
Ellen



2 comments:

  1. I didn't even know about Fugi! Busy girl! Congrats on keeping up with the blog and making a second post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are giving a good treatment to your horse.tutor at World Equestrian Center Ocala I also use Manna Pro Calm Coat Premium shampoo on my horse skin.

    ReplyDelete